[development] Staging content to production servers

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Thu Jun 15 19:13:04 UTC 2006

On 6/15/06, Chris Johnson <chris at tinpixel.com> wrote:
> Why are people using staging sites for this, instead of the
> workflow/publish/moderation queue abilities built into Drupal?

I've worked in environments where it was a strict requirement.
Relatively few people had access to the production servers, but we
made changes on dev, tested the migration path when moving them to
test-environment and then IT would promote things to pre-prod and (if
successful) to production environment.

That was a telecommunications company so it's understandable to see
where they got that mentality, but they applied that stringent process
to a non-critical software project I was working on.  Frustrating as
heck.

Plus, the internal Drupal workflow only applies to nodes, not other
configuration stuff.  And i think the scope of this conversation
includes "other configuration stuff" right?

Greg

--
Greg Knaddison | Growing Venture Solutions
Denver, CO | http://growingventuresolutions.com