[development] Staging content to production servers

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Thu Jun 15 19:16:53 UTC 2006

On 15-Jun-06, at 12:04 PM, Chris Johnson wrote:

> Khalid B wrote:
>
>> I have had clients ask me on this as well. The idea is to have a
>> production
>> server than no one posts content to directly, and a staging server
>> where
>> content is posted, edited, refined, ..etc. Then a button is
>> clicked to push
>> selected content from the staging to the production.
>
> Why are people using staging sites for this, instead of the
> workflow/publish/moderation queue abilities built into Drupal?

Good question. I think part of it is seeing it "really" live -- being
able to log out, see it as an anonymous users, and so on. You can't
do it on a live site without it, being, um, live.

And in part, this may be a discomfort with the way CMS is handled,
vs. static content.

> Personally, I'm more interested in staging software changes and
> config changes, so I'm curious as to what is driving this other use.

This discussion would be useful for the consulting list. Khalid,
perhaps you can post to the group on Drupal.org and ask for feedback
for what other people see a need for: http://groups.drupal.org/
consulting

(with the note that pub - sub does all of it already :P)

Cheers,

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595