[development] Staging content to production servers

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Thu Jun 15 21:42:21 UTC 2006

Greg Knaddison - GVS wrote:
> On 6/15/06, Chris Johnson <chris at tinpixel.com> wrote:
>> Why are people using staging sites for this, instead of the
>> workflow/publish/moderation queue abilities built into Drupal?
>
> I've worked in environments where it was a strict requirement.
> Relatively few people had access to the production servers, but we
> made changes on dev, tested the migration path when moving them to
> test-environment and then IT would promote things to pre-prod and (if
> successful) to production environment.

> Plus, the internal Drupal workflow only applies to nodes, not other
> configuration stuff.  And i think the scope of this conversation
> includes "other configuration stuff" right?

I certainly understand the strict control of access to production servers in
general.  I've worked in environments like that, and believe in the benefits of
having that tight control -- especially when I've been carrying the crisis
pager for the software dev group.  I definitely wanted to know who did what and
when!

It just seems like staging content, not config or software, on drupal is
actually *more problemmatic* than actually using the built in tools for
promoting content from author to editor to approval to publication on the
production drupal site itself.

I'm with you 100% on staging the other changes -- not that *that* is easy,
either.  :-)