[development] Re: [consulting] Module to view/edit module weights

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Fri Jun 16 18:36:27 UTC 2006

> > Remember that a mechanism similar to weights is used in UNIX/Linux
> > init scripts (each daemon is given a 3 digit number and they are started
> > in order).
>
> How many people actually use that? I've never even seen such a 3 digit
> number in Gentoo. (I believe there is a dependency system or something,
> I don't ever need to look at it.)

All UNIX like systems that use the sysvinit (System V Initialization) use
this. This is on UNIX V.4, Solaris, Red Hat, Mandriva, Ubuntu ...etc.

# cd /etc/rc3.d/
# ls
S10sysklogd
S19mysql-ndb-mgm
S20mysql
S20ssh
S25mdadm
S89cron
S99rc.local
S11klogd
S20makedev
S20postfix
S21mysql-ndb
S50proftpd
S91apache2
S99rmnologin

These are just symlinks to the real script that does the start and stop which
is in /etc/init.d/ for each service.

> > This is similar to update-rc.d in Debian/Ubuntu.
>
> Never used it, I'm going to guess a majority of Drupal administrators
> haven't either.

That does not mean it is not there, just that you did not come across it.

On Debian/Ubuntu, it is the update-rc.d that does it.

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Update-rc.d

On Redhat and family there is chkconfig.

http://www.netadmintools.com/art94.html

There is always the manual way as well:

ln -s /etc/init.d/somedaemon /etc/rc3.d/S42somedaemon

I am not saying this is the best or worst way, but the concept is used
elsewhere.