[development] Re: [consulting] Module to view/edit module weights

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Fri Jun 16 21:19:10 UTC 2006

On 6/16/06, Khalid B <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
> > Never used it, I'm going to guess a majority of Drupal administrators
> > haven't either.
>
> That does not mean it is not there, just that you did not come across it.

I think neil's point is that while it exists, he never needed to use
it.  And if that's not his point, I'll make it:  I've only rarely had
to edit init script numbers and I spent some time being in charge of
writing installer software for a custom server based on jboss and
apache and...but the init scripts that those guys shipped with were
good enough and I didn't have to think about the numbers.  Drupal
should strive for a similar situation.

Similarly, sticking a weightsUI onto admin/modules is distracting,
confusing, and useless for 99% of Drupal users.  It would be nice to
be able to edit the weights, but I don't think it makes sense in the
interface.

If a module's weight is wrong in a situation- maybe log a bug to fix
it or to reengineer an "after these modules" and "before these
modules" system, but exposing control over the weights seems like the
wrong solution even if it gets the job done in those 1% of cases.

Regards,
Greg
--
Greg Knaddison | Growing Venture Solutions
Denver, CO | http://growingventuresolutions.com