[development] Staging content to production servers

Jenny Hsueh lists at ondemand-network.com
Sat Jun 17 14:45:42 UTC 2006

Moshe Weitzman wrote:

> Dave Cohen wrote:
>
>> I've started to address this issue by reserving the first 1000 ids
>> for the "staging" (or if you prefer, "install profile").  So for
>> instance node nid 10 comes from the install profile, while node nid
>> 1010 is on the production server only.  Same goes for vocabulary with
>> vid 10 (or 1010), menu with mid 10 (or 1010), etc.  Later, I can add
>> node 11 to the install profile and propigate it to my production site
>> easily enough and without fear of overwriting anything that's been
>> configured on the production server.
>>
>> You can read exactly how I do this here
>> <http://dave-cohen.com/node/1066>.
>

> wow, thats a very clever solution to the problem. i would totally
> support drupal patches which insure that ids start at 1000.

Dave - in your post it described a very real world scenario so having
some changes on the core side, as Moshe suggested to work hand-in-hand
with the profile install seems the  way to go.

But  I wonder how is this going to work in a release upgrade when this
feature is included, we can have some scripts to bump all existing nodes
by 1000, but does it mean those millions of drupal nodes that have been
indexed by google or being bookmarked will all be broken?

Jenny