[development] Forms API newbie guide?

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Mon Jun 19 02:23:56 UTC 2006

Karoly Negyesi wrote:
> Start from http://drupal.org/node/33338 there are lots to read.
>
> Upload the code somewhere where we can read (drupal.pastebin.com works
> for short code) and you may get some actual help :)
>
> NK

Thanks for the reply.  I've uploaded my _submit function to
drupal.pastebin.com. http://drupal.pastebin.com/717633 (seems to be
running a little slow right now....)

The problem I'm having is determining when I should be doing an update
instead of an insert.  The insert part works great.  The update never
fires.

the suggested documentation is a great resource if I want to know how a
particular function works.  Where I'm having problems is understanding
how all the parts of the framework are related.  It took me two days to
figure out that I needed the "name" part of the drupal_get_form
function, and then could use that name in relation to my other functions
(name_subit for example).  And my usual troubleshooting techniques of
dumping variable values, and using "I'm here" type entries do not work
in the validation or submit functions.

My traditional approach to handling inserts/updates is to check the ID
value for my record.  If it's not set (zero), then it's an insert,
otherwise it's an update.  Is there a different/better approach to use
in modules?

Thanks for any tips.

Shawn