[development] Forms API newbie guide?

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Mon Jun 19 02:39:08 UTC 2006

I'm an experienced developer and enjoy well documented APIs.  Drupal's
is a good resource - for those who understand WHY things are the way
they are.  The approach to building a module or a form requires a
certain mindset.  This mindset is not documented, and this is the part
that Fouad is referring to I think.

For instance, in my case, I don't really want a new node type.  But I
want some of the features a new node buys (like a known fixed path when
working with the module).  Of course you do this with the menu methods.
  But how would that be obvious to someone who has not done enough work
to figure this out by trial and error?  The detail is hinted at in a few
places, but it is subtle enough to be overlooked easily.  (of course now
I'm doing a merge of node_hooks, page_hooks, menu_hooks, and form_hooks).

Don't get me wrong - what documentation does exist is great, and thanks
are given to all the contributors.  What is lacking (unless I haven't
found it yet) is what I consider the "hand holding" type of documents to
get from zero knowledge about Drupal code to creating the average types
of modules.  An average module would have database tables and forms to
create/update data, as well as pure content management type routines.
The current Module Developers Guide is a great start.  But misses some
of the details that make everything "click" for a new Drupal coder.

I don't mean to be whining, but judging from the responses I received to
my original message, there does seem to be room for improvement (isn't
there always? :)  ) and I'm hoping that discussing it might help.

Thanks for listening... :)

Shawn