[development] Update Notifications

Dan Ziemecki dan at ziemecki.com
Tue Mar 7 01:54:22 UTC 2006

Today while I was updating my Firefox extensions, it occurred to me that
this would be some really nice functionality to have in a CMS.  What if
every time an admin logged in or ran a "Check For Updates" module, he'd get
a list of his active modules with lower version numbers that what's
currently available in CVS?  Maybe the list has a link to each module's
project page for immediate review and download.

The module itself sounds like it would be relatively simple:  parse the
version number out of each of the module files and compare them against a
master list of current versions.  The trick would be that master list.  I'm
imagining something like an XML file hosted on cvs.drupal.org that generates
on call (or maybe once a day).

Does this sound interesting to anyone but me?  Is there any way we could
extract latest version numbers from CVS?

--
Dan Ziemecki
Philosopher. Curmudgeon. Nerd.