[development] A little pgsql help

Dan Ziemecki dan at ziemecki.com
Thu Mar 9 15:21:53 UTC 2006

I've used 'text' for content, as I think it will contain text only data

> (serialized php variables). If you need binary data, then use bytea, but
> you'll have to use db_{encode,decode}_blob() functions.

If 'text' works for serialized objects, then that's probably what I need.
Maybe in mySQL, too.  I was just concerned that a text field would top out
at 255 characters, and I wasn't sure how many I'd end up with.

I've also added default values because iirc mysql will insert '' if
> there is no default and no value is provided.

Good point.  Shouldn't be an instance where there *isn't* a value, but it's
a good habit.

I would suggest changing 'uid' name to something else, as it's reserved
> name.

Good point.  Is 'type" ok? I've seen it elsewhere (e.g. Nodes) but I wasn't
sure...

> COMMENT ON COLUMN subscriptions_holding.rid IS 'Unique row ID';
> > COMMENT ON COLUMN subscriptions_holding.uid IS 'The person performing
> the operation';
>
> Those are also good, if you really want comments.

Why wouldn't you? Is there a cost?  Otherwise, anything that explains what's
going on can only help in later troubleshooting, no?

--
Dan Ziemecki
Philosopher. Curmudgeon. Nerd.