[development] Development of WebDAV module

Ian Macdonald imac at gn.apc.org
Wed Mar 15 12:16:36 UTC 2006

Dear Drupal developers,

I write from a small ISP in London that does web design projects using a
variety of CMSs for our clients. A client of ours requires an intranet
site with a calendar, forums and file management. We have implemented
the site with Drupal and the client is happy with the calendar and the
forums.

In terms of the filestore, the client wishes to be able to access files
and folders of documents from within Drupal, but also through WebDAV (MS
Windows Web Folders).

There was a Summer of Code project by Fabiano Sant'Ana to write a webdav
module for Drupal. The description of the project is at
http://drupal.org/node/26292 and the final code of the modules is
available at
http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/sandbox/wundo/SoC/ .

The current modules allow Drupal to act as a WebDAV server, however
authentication is currently not supported by the modules and so write
access via WebDAV is not yet possible.

We would be interested in financing further development of the WebDAV
module in order to meet our client's needs. We would like a system that
allows files to be uploaded from within Drupal (as attachments or
uploads) or uploaded via WebDAV. The files would also be available via
these two different interfaces. Thus, the task at hand would be to make
a WebDAV module that integrates with the uploads.module (or somehow
integrates with uploads from within Drupal itself).

We spoke to Fabiano at one point and he estimated that it would take
about 9 days of coding to have something functional with these
characteristics. Unfortunately, we have not gotten any response from him
regarding the project at the moment.

Is there anyone here that might be interested in being paid to do this
development for us? Or any suggestions regarding whom we should talk to
regarding this project?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

- -Ian
 GreenNet Support

- --
Ian Macdonald  (imac at gn.apc.org)

GreenNet supports a progressive community working for Peace, the
Environment, Gender Equality and Social Justice, through the use
of Information Communication Technologies (ICTs).