[development] 'name' column length in variables

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Sun Mar 19 10:28:35 UTC 2006

Hi,

This is more a policy thing then a bug, IMO.

Drupal has some columns harcoded in length, most notably the 'node.type'
column and the 'variable.name' colmn.

I ran into a problem today again, with a contrib breaking because it made its
variables like
variable_get('usernodes_foo_' . $type) //where $type is the node type name.
You get it, that can grow very long. Drupal exploded there completely, because
MySQL choked on already existing types.

There aer loads of ways around this: use shorter node types in my (cck)
configuration,. Use shorter names that prepend the $type etcetc.
But I am sure that a patch will not fix this. I mean, we can make the 'name'
column longer, but there is a limit, we will hit at some time again.
Making a field longer is IMO only patching the error, not the cause of the
error.

Any good ideas for this? Should we start on a unique_name($string, $length)
function? A function that will create unique names?

Bèr
--
 [ Bèr Kessels | Drupal services www.webschuur.com ]

Hoe het naviatie blok te verbergen: