[development] 'name' column length in variables

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sun Mar 19 11:14:30 UTC 2006

On Sunday 19 March 2006 04:28, Bèr Kessels wrote:

> There aer loads of ways around this: use shorter node types in my (cck)
> configuration,. Use shorter names that prepend the $type etcetc.
> But I am sure that a patch will not fix this. I mean, we can make the
> 'name' column longer, but there is a limit, we will hit at some time again.
> Making a field longer is IMO only patching the error, not the cause of the
> error.
>
> Any good ideas for this? Should we start on a unique_name($string, $length)
> function? A function that will create unique names?
>
> Bèr

Well, for variables, since most are tied to one module or another why not just
give them a module namespace?  variable_get('usernodes', 'myvar', $default);
That does a better job of avoiding name collision than we have now and keeps
each column shorter.

I'm pretty sure someone had a DEP at one point to rewrite the variable system
that touched on this.  Whoever it is, I apologize for forgetting your
name. :-)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012