[development] Upgrade button -- Our most important feature needed.

Trae McCombs traemccombs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 16:03:55 UTC 2006

We really need the ability to easily upgrade our Drupal sites.  I don't know
how many people I know who are leaving Drupal en masse to things like
wordpress and e107 simply because it's becoming too much of a pain for them
to upgrade their sites.

I have been using Drupal since 4.3.2 and it is still very difficult for me
to start the upgrade process.  I feel as if I really need someone with a
clue to look at things for me and upgrade my site.  Consequently, a few
sites I have are still older revisiions, which are insecure.

We need a one click to upgrade button.  Something that goes out and checks
your system to see if it has the latest software, if it isn't there, it
upgrades it for you as well as your database.

I love drupal and enjoy working on it, I would just hate to see our user
share drop because other people are creating features that will simply make
it easier for others to use different CMS's than our own.

Please know that this assessment is from someone that doesn't code.  The
idea of me having to go in and download a new tarball, replace all the core
drupal files (sort those things out is a mess) and make sure the modules
etc... get updated is a nightmare to say the very least.

Trae

--
    Trae McCombs || http://occy.net/
  Founder - Themes.org // Linux.com