[development] blocks by role in 4.7.0? RTBC?

Derek Wright derek at dwwright.net
Sat Mar 25 09:42:03 UTC 2006

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 09:53:14 +0100  Robert Douglass wrote:

> I can't help but think that making an exception, just days away from
> the release candidate, is a bad idea.

[cross posting from http://drupal.org/node/18018]

argh. ;)  dries himself thought this was worthy of getting in 4.7.0.
kieran has talked about this feature as the "#1 requested usability
feature from admins" (right?).  there have been *dozens* of forum
posts about it.  the code is ready.  it's been reviewed and tested
many times.  for apparently no good reason, it sat here for a month,
unloved.  :(  i'm all for getting 4.7.0 out the door, but spending 10
minutes now to finally commit the patch can save hours (days?) of
needless support and admin time hacking around this problem for the
entire lifespan of 4.7.  i'm also all for speeding up the
devel/release cycle, but i'm sure it'll be months before 6.8.0 is out,
and at least a year before most drupal sites are running 4.8, probably
longer.  i think it'd be a shame to force all our users to suffer
through another release without this crucial feature.  i too, have
other features i'd love to see, but they aren't as universally
requested as this one, so i'm willing to wait on those.  also, since
this *does* alter the db schema (it adds a new table), if we don't get
it committed before the RC, there's no hope for it before 6.8.  i'm
sure many of us would be disappointed in that, from dries on down the
chain. ;)

steven, can you comment?  i think dries left you in charge as the
ultimate arbitrator of last resort. ;)

thanks,
-derek