[development] user group permissions

Chris Johnson chris at tinpixel.com
Mon Mar 27 21:55:16 UTC 2006

I'm writing a module which requires that the data displayed be specified both
by user name (no problem, works out of the box) and by a group that the user
is in.  I currently have 286 such groups, and the number will only grow
larger.  This is not a role, but rather a permission to see certain rows of a
database table.

I can't help but think that this has been done before in Drupal.  Any
suggestions or pointers as to where best to find existing code that does this,
or otherwise how to implement it?

..chrisxj