[development] user group permissions

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Tue Mar 28 08:45:05 UTC 2006

On 27-Mar-06, at 1:55 PM, Chris Johnson wrote:

> I'm writing a module which requires that the data displayed be
> specified both by user name (no problem, works out of the box) and
> by a group that the user is in.  I currently have 286 such groups,
> and the number will only grow larger.  This is not a role, but
> rather a permission to see certain rows of a database table.
>
> I can't help but think that this has been done before in Drupal.
> Any suggestions or pointers as to where best to find existing code
> that does this, or otherwise how to implement it?

I'm thinking about a problem set which looks similar -- potentially
large numbers of "groups", or perhaps "groupings" is a better word.
Thinking about the issue, it sounds a bit like taxonomy, and from
there, a style of taxonomy access. Yes, users aren't nodes...but
there have been many demands for a way to make it so, and some sort
of relation fits in here too.

Please report back approaches you are considering/taking.

Cheers,

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595