[development] 404 handling

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Fri Mar 31 05:17:59 UTC 2006

On 30-Mar-06, at 9:03 PM, Neil Drumm wrote:

> Ken Rickard wrote:
>> This can cause real problems when an image or other file is
>> missing,  A little research by our tech guys gives us this:
>
> What sort of real problems?

> And I think this is how it should be. All 404s are logged by
> Drupal, which is a good thing. And all the 404 pages look the same,
> also a good thing.
>
> What am I missing?

That 404s cause a full Drupal bootstrap, which can cause extra load
in really heavy environments. Handling it at the Apache layer, as is
being proposed, means it doesn't hit Drupal at all.

It's probably, at least, a useful tip/snippet to be included somewhere.

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595