5.0 and or 4.8 (was Re: [development] Drupal x.x.0 freeze date)

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Mon May 1 07:08:03 UTC 2006

> So; after I read this post by Larry, I think aiming for a 5.0 is
> not a good
> idea after all. But aiming for a 4.7-without-Uncastrated-male-
> cattle-poop
> still is a good idea. A,nd having a place, or more places, to put
> all that
> Uncastrated-male-cattle-poop is a good idea too, especially if
> those can be
> placed in a lot of seperate places.

I'm very sceptic about roadmaps and long-term planning in the context
of Drupal development.  A roadmap is vaporware and creates pressure.
In practice, stuff gets written, or it doesn't.  Also, the longer we
wait to tackle certain problems (and rewrite code), the harder it
will be.  Therefore, I'm in favor of incremental releases.  If you
want to take on a big task, please do.  The sooner, the better.
Things that are ready to go in, go in.  Things that are not ready to
go in are postponed to the next version.  Depending on what went in,
we call the next version Drupal 4.8 or Drupal 5.0.  Simple as that.

  -1 for having a roadmap
  -1 for having two parallel development branches