5.0 and or 4.8 (was Re: [development] Drupal x.x.0 freeze date)

Jenny Hsueh jenny at ondemand-network.com
Mon May 1 14:51:08 UTC 2006

Dries Buytaert wrote:

> I'm very sceptic about roadmaps and long-term planning in the context
> of Drupal development.  A roadmap is vaporware and creates pressure.

I respectfully disagree on this, commenting from an end user
perspective.  A roadmap is not about time boxing what is going to be
developed when, but a shared common vision of the community how to get
from point A to point B -- i.e.  to understand the target and to
understand the inter-dependencies.  I feel this is essential for
volunteer based project, although it is true that what is being coded is
what gets delivered but without a roadmap how would you get feedback
from end users on what is important ?  From what  I can gather on this
mailing list discussions, which I only joined about a month ago, it
looks like there are some very important and nifty features in drupal
have not had adequate resource to work on . The question is how many
people other than the current development community aware of this?  A
roadmap can be a very effective marketing tool to share your vision with
a larger community,  it does not need to be time boxed.

Cheers,
jenny