5.0 and or 4.8 (was Re: [development] Drupal x.x.0 freeze date)

Angie Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Mon May 1 18:08:55 UTC 2006

Bèr Kessels wrote:
> If any of the four goes in, and has an impact close to fAPI, we already need
> *7 months* (the time it took to get fAPI stable enough for a release) in any
> case.

To be fair, half the reason FAPI took so long to troubleshoot/bug-fix is because
it was completely new, never-before done and basically a complete rewriting of
how Drupal does forms (which are used in almost every file ;)) from the ground
up. There was no way to predict all the possible scenarios that would need to be
accounted for until much, much later.

Most of the changes you outline either already have existing code in contrib or
wherever to draw from, or are re-tooling/enhancement type of things (like FAPI
improvements or X as nodes). I don't see a lot of "start completely over from
scratch" stuff here, so I think "years" may be a tad bit unrealistic. ;) I do
agree that getting all 4 of them in the same release is probably a stretch,
especially with a now "time boxed" development cycle, but hey let's see what
happens!

-Angie
CivicSpace Labs