5.0 and or 4.8 (was Re: [development] Drupal x.x.0 freeze date)

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Tue May 2 00:12:33 UTC 2006

Op maandag 1 mei 2006 20:01, schreef Earl Miles:
> I don't, honestly, see this happening for a variety of reasons. Views
> works well as a contrib module, and in that light, I think it's a great
> motivator to actually remove a bunch of stuff from core entirely, and
> move them into the talked-about-but-as-yet-not-implemented 'golden'
> contrib area, where the modules in that area have a higher level of
> scrutiny and review, similar to core.

You are right here. Let us hope that the zhole concept of "core" will change
soon.

But. As it stand now, core pretends to be a ready-to-go-handy-to-use set.

It is everything but that IMO. nearly all core modules (the only one I do not
know alternatives for is forum) have FAR better equivalents in contribs.
Netto result is that someone who is serious about building a site needs to
digg deep into contribs to find all the replacements for core modules.

I also think this proves that the free/open way of contribs prove to be a very
healthy way of getting good quality projects out there.

Bèr