[development] Time to remove poll module from core

Jeff Eaton jeff at viapositiva.net
Mon May 1 19:01:51 UTC 2006

Queue.module, for example, is relatively similar to nmoderation module,
which is now available for 4.7.  That work was  sponsord by
Code0range.net, and I'm working on a migration script for queue.module
data. I'd initially understood that queue's moderation system worked
like the comment moderation tools in 4.6; as it's slightly different,
I'm putting a bit more work into the conversion path. But it is
happening.

Queue.module, though, was a case of 'just good enough to prevent further
core development, but not good enough to do what people really want it
to.' That specific module may have vanished once it hit contrib, but the
core need now has a number of solutions depending on a site's need.
Vote-up-down simulates digg-style voting, nmoderation offers a
relatively complex voting matrix, and so on.

The suggestion was put out that poll.module be ported to VotingAPI; If
someone's willing to take a stab at converting it, I'd be willing to
work with them and assist in ongoing support. Off the top of my head, it
would be easy to support multichoice polls, write-in answers, and
users-changing-their-votes.

--Jeff