[development] Restructure Core Module Support [ was: Time to remove poll module from core]

Robert Douglass r.douglass at onlinehome.de
Mon May 1 20:44:25 UTC 2006

I think we have essentially the same idea, Chris, and that leaves the
question "how best to achieve it?"

One thing that is needed for distributions to work well is the further
delegation of responsibility. Adding some core maintainers (Gerhard and
Neil) has worked out fantastically well. The distributions idea offers
another opportunity to delegate responsibility even further. If "Bob"
were made the maintainer of the "Drupal Blogging" distribution, and this
meant selecting and vetting modules, coordinating development efforts,
and preparing an install profile, then Bob would have a chance to shine
in this new role the way that Gerhard rose to the task of being a core
maintainer. Doling out responsibility like this is a great way to get
things done =)

One step further... if we use the groups site to let people
"organically" decide which distributions they're interested in creating
and maintaining, then we can wait until the distros actually appear
before officially promoting them. This would prevent the scenario where
we decide today that we really need "Drupal Blogging", but watch it fall
on its face because nobody is really interested. Tell people to go out
and make the distros, prove their value, show that they are serious
efforts, and then, after they've proven themselves adequately, list them
as official.

-Robert