5.0 and or 4.8 (was Re: [development] Drupal x.x.0 freeze date)

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Tue May 2 00:34:51 UTC 2006

On Monday 01 May 2006 18:25, Darrel O'Pry wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 10:51 -0400, Jenny Hsueh wrote:
> > Dries Buytaert wrote:
> > > I'm very sceptic about roadmaps and long-term planning in the context
> > > of Drupal development.  A roadmap is vaporware and creates pressure.
> >
> > I respectfully disagree on this, commenting from an end user
> > perspective.  A roadmap is not about time boxing what is going to be
> > developed when, but a shared common vision of the community how to get
> > from point A to point B -- i.e.  to understand the target and to
> > understand the inter-dependencies.  I feel this is essential for
> > volunteer based project, although it is true that what is being coded is
> > what gets delivered but without a roadmap how would you get feedback
> > from end users on what is important ?  From what  I can gather on this
> > mailing list discussions, which I only joined about a month ago, it
> > looks like there are some very important and nifty features in drupal
> > have not had adequate resource to work on . The question is how many
> > people other than the current development community aware of this?  A
> > roadmap can be a very effective marketing tool to share your vision with
> > a larger community,  it does not need to be time boxed.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > jenny
> >

> >From a developers perspective...
>
>   I'm going to develop what I want for Drupal regardless of the Roadmap
> other people have. I don't want my pet 'features' that are ready for
> release to have to wait on your pet feature. I want to see it in the
> mainline development version so people can test and comment on it. I
> think people who are actively developing drupal now days have a feel for
> where it is going.
>

> .darrel.

Well, only kinda.  For instance, is CCK ready for prime time yet?  Should I be
doing my nodes that way from now on?  I keep hearing that CCK+Views is The
Future(tm), but the last docs and discussion I saw on CCK say that it's still
in a state of flux and not yet stable.

Knowing something like "4.8 will include a stable CCK, so you can plan
accordingly" (or not) is valuable, and not at all obvious to many of we peon
developers. :-)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012