5.0 and or 4.8 (was Re: [development] Drupal x.x.0 freeze date)

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Tue May 2 07:12:42 UTC 2006

On 02 May 2006, at 02:34, Larry Garfield wrote:
>>> I respectfully disagree on this, commenting from an end user
>>> perspective.  A roadmap is not about time boxing what is going to be
>>> developed when, but a shared common vision of the community how
>>> to get
>>> from point A to point B -- i.e.  to understand the target and to
>>> understand the inter-dependencies.  I feel this is essential for
>>> volunteer based project, although it is true that what is being
>>> coded is
>>> what gets delivered but without a roadmap how would you get feedback
>>> from end users on what is important ?  From what  I can gather on
>>> this
>>> mailing list discussions, which I only joined about a month ago, it
>>> looks like there are some very important and nifty features in
>>> drupal
>>> have not had adequate resource to work on . The question is how many
>>> people other than the current development community aware of
>>> this?  A
>>> roadmap can be a very effective marketing tool to share your
>>> vision with
>>> a larger community,  it does not need to be time boxed.
>>
>>   I'm going to develop what I want for Drupal regardless of the
>> Roadmap
>> other people have. I don't want my pet 'features' that are ready for
>> release to have to wait on your pet feature. I want to see it in the
>> mainline development version so people can test and comment on it. I
>> think people who are actively developing drupal now days have a
>> feel for
>> where it is going.

I was about to say the _exact_ same as Darrel.  People who hang out
on the mailing list, the forums or on IRC know what can be improved
and worked on.  Most of us have a feel of what is being worked on,
and where things are going.   We all know that work is being done on
the install system, the CCK, the views module, etc.   But wait ...
how is that possible without a roadmap?  ;)

> Well, only kinda.  For instance, is CCK ready for prime time yet?
> Should I be
> doing my nodes that way from now on?  I keep hearing that CCK+Views
> is The
> Future(tm), but the last docs and discussion I saw on CCK say that
> it's still
> in a state of flux and not yet stable.

You answered your own question.

> Knowing something like "4.8 will include a stable CCK, so you can plan
> accordingly" (or not) is valuable, and not at all obvious to many
> of we peon
> developers. :-)

We can't make any such promises, and therefore, we won't.  The CCK
will be ready when it's ready.

Things happens, or not.  And when things happens, we'll be
coordinating, reviewing, patching and micro-managing.

Sorry but we don't do official roadmaps or extensive project planning.