5.0 and or 4.8 (was Re: [development] Drupal x.x.0 freeze date)

Boerland, Bert bert.boerland at getronics.com
Tue May 2 08:15:03 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: development-bounces at drupal.org

> The 4.5 to 4.6 roadmap while interesting was in my opinion a fairly
> interesting boondoogle.

It might have been "boondoogle", but I wouldnt have called the 4.5/4.6 a roadmap.

IMHO drupal might needs some form of a roadmap written down. We tend to forget that we /do/ have a roadmap, it is just all over the place (like the real roads) in people's heads (like a mind map). Writing it down, adjusting it on the fly, will do wonders for outsiders (potential users/customers, developers etc)

The reason we don't have a roadmap, is twofold. One: we don't /need/ a roadmap and two we don't /want/ a roadmap. The second reason is mostly because people are afraid it will be fixed. Roadmaps aren't fixed, roads can change, so can roadmaps, they are not rigid. The first reason is from /our/ point of view valid, however we are not alone in this world and it will create new opportunities for Drupal from an outsiders POV if we did have a roadmap.