5.0 and or 4.8 (was Re: [development] Drupal x.x.0 freeze date)

Adrian Simmons adrinux at perlucida.com
Tue May 2 09:33:57 UTC 2006

gunnar wrote:
> In my opinion Drupal always has a roadmap, but not always very precisely
> communicated.
I'd like to suggest something a little less formal. A section in the
newsletter, call it say 'grape vine', 'overheard', 'Crystal ball'[1] or
whatever that looks at what *might* be coming - the point is it should be
put across as 'rumors' and discussion, not something hard and fast. It would
give a feel for whats coming to a wider audience than the relatively small
crowd that hang out on irc.

The excellent Lullabot podcasts also do a good job with this sort of thing.

> But we all know that we also have a lot of people working on solutions for
> clients. Some of these people have no other way of know where things are going
> - than reading the developer list and listening in on the IRC channels.
That's all any of us can do surely?
And really, anybody that has a serious interest in where Drupal is going
should be getting involved with the community, and that means hanging out on
irc, subscribing to mailing lists, reading the newsletter and listening to
the podcasts.

The one caveat is time zones - it's hard for all those english speakers in
Australia and New Zealand to be on irc at the same time as all the core
developers in western Europe.

[1] I put that one in just for chx :p

--
Adrian Simmons (aka adrinux) <http://adrinux.perlucida.com>