5.0 and or 4.8 (was Re: [development] Drupal x.x.0 freeze date)

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Tue May 2 17:37:34 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 2, 2006 6:37 am, Bèr Kessels said:

> I tried a raodmap once. In the handbooks. It did not work, because (i)
> some
> people did not want it to work and (ii) people were not bothered about it,
> while (iii) it was too far hidden away to be of any real value.
>
> However, I learned one thing. The fact that I had some nice tasks on there
> brought in people whom might otherwise have been 'lost'. They mailed me in
> person, because my name was behind a certain item in that map.
> They needed that same goal/item done.
>
> Hence we had a team.
>
> So we can also see a roadmap as something to show peolpe the
> shortcut-roads to
> effective developement!
> Instead of hacking up i18n, or start i10n, or so, that developer can now
> see
> that there is an active team with clear goals and tasks, working on
> getting
> certain i18n features out there. He might just as well join, instead of
> the
> long route (mailinglists, IRC and more stuff that half of the developers
> don't have time for) on his own.
>
> Yes. groups.drupal.org will fullfill this purpose, I guess. If only we can
> summarise the activity on groups.drupal.org on a prominent page, then *we
> have a roadmap!*

That would be sufficient, I think, if it's well aggregated and advertised.
 It doesn't have to be a "promise to clients", if we don't phrase it as
one.  Somthing as simple as:

Rewrite all output to be a View: Moshe: 80% done
CCK in core: chx: 20% done
i18n in core: Adrian: postponed, not in 4.8

Would be quite helpful.  Just a clear statement of where we stand with the
big stuff, since figuring that out from just the project module is, well,
nearly impossible. :-)

(With due apologies to Moshe, chx, and Adrian. <g>)

--Larry Garfield