[development] Officially supported browsers

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Wed May 3 11:15:32 UTC 2006

Khalid B wrote:
> This question comes up every now and  then and there is a debate on
> market share, ...etc. Some will point to w3schools, others to other
> sites.
>
> The  fact is: it all depends on the audience of a given site. It
> varies widely
> depending on  that:
>
> For what's its worth, here are my April statistics for browsers (all
> browsers
> with less than 1% share are ignored)
>
> Quasi Techie site
>     MS Internet Explorer 64 % (61% is MS IE 6.0)
>     Firefox     22.4 %
>     Unknown     5.7 %
>     Safari      3 %
>     Mozilla     1.5 %
>     Opera     1.3 %
>
> Non techie niche site (in line with Steven's general web stats).
>     MS Internet Explorer    82.2 % (79% is MS IE 6.0)
>     Firefox    10.6 %
>     Unknown    2.5 %
>     Safari    1.4 %
>     Mozilla 1 %
>
> Just look at the MS IE vs FF. 64:22 in one case, and 82:10 in the other.
> MS IE is mostly 6.0, so 5.x has very little market share.

Here are the stats for drupal.org from April:

Firefox       47.0 %
IE               35.7 %
Safari          4.1 %
Mozilla        4.1 %
Opera         3.0 %
Unkown      2.2 %
Konqueror  1.3 %
Wget            0.5 %

IE's share has been dropping from 42.4% in September, for May it is
currently only at 30.x%

Cheers,
    Gerhard