[development] Time to remove poll module from core

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Wed May 3 20:58:16 UTC 2006

blogdiva at culturekitchen.com wrote:
> Somewhere in the CivicSpace or Drupal archives I said something to  this
> effect more than a year ago. But I can't code modules ...  sigh ... but
> yes, this is exactly what I've advocated for in the  past. I honestly do
> not understand why there are distinctions between  blog, story and page.
> I find them redundant.
>
> For someone who is a publisher/designer and minor tinkerer of  modules,
> I'd consolidate those three into just the blog node and make  that as
> extensible or static as possible.

Liza, the "node" itself is extensible, blog is not the right root type,
"node" is. Story, book, page, forum, blog (SBPFB) all are just
alternative names to "node", they don't contain/support more as a
content type. Poll supports more (and is different in that it has no
body/teaser text). The SBPFB node types exist so that you can assign
different workflows to them, and display them in different built in
views. Ie. you can easily restrict people to only create content in the
forums and not in your articles section. If all these would be one, you
would not have this functionality (on the type level). The different
display of forums and blogs are also quite handy, or the easier
outlining of book nodes (as opposed to what you need to do when putting
a story or a poll into a book outline).

This is why there are distinctions, maybe it is understandable now.

Goba