[development] SoC: Multi-site administration through rich XUL client

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Wed May 3 23:43:34 UTC 2006

On 5/3/06, Chris Johnson <chris at tinpixel.com> wrote:
> Boris Mann wrote:
>
> > This is interesting. The XUL client as Drupal installer? Kind of like
> > some of the MySQL remote config/admin tools? It's an interesting
> > direction, certainly.
>
> I only know a little about XUL.  What are the chief advantages it provides
> over using Javascript and XMLHttpRequest (i.e. AJAX)?  A more rich set of
> widgets?  Better event handling?
>
> I get the impression XUL is much lighter than Java, but it does not appear to
> have stateful connections.  Or does it?
>
> I start having wild fantasies about building thin, lightweight
> PowerBuilder/VisualBasic-like fancy clients running in Gecko browsers with
> stateful connections to web servers and see the world as my oyster.  :-)
>
> So for the XUL n00bs among us (that would be me), what's it buying us here?

Chris

XUL is cool. See this demo for it to know what it can do.

http://www.faser.net/mab/chrome/content/mab.xul

My initial objection is that XUL is Mozilla only. With Mozilla having only 10%
market share (outside tech community), it is not a solution that is cross
browser enough to build things on.

However, the new piece of info me is that they made "XULRunner" out of it
which is cross platform and browser independant.

This *may* change things a bit.