[development] Move all core modules into their own directories.

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Thu May 4 16:01:57 UTC 2006

Dries Buytaert wrote:
>> Indeed, that is exactly why I suggest creating it as a completely
>> separate
>> engine. Though as I think on it, the current setup doesn't support
>> running the
>> same theme with multiple engines, that I'm aware of. I'm not actually
>> sure.
>

> The point of my original e-mail is that for such a system to be
> successful, it needs to be default.  If theme_ functions remain the
> default fallback mechanism, we don't get the full advantage (eg. the
> modules and memory footprint won't go down) making it a lot less
> attractive.  In fact, things would get worse, as we'd need to
> duplicate the theme_ functions as stand-alone templates (eg. creating
> maintenance overhead).

I think there's a miscommunication; I was referring to a different engine that
is a mirror of PHPTemplate, but does the compiling; I agree that the template
structure needs to be default, and Adrian was pointing out that most of
PHPTemplate can easily be pulled into core, and still leave the part that
actually interprets the template to the engine. PHPTemplate would then, by
itself, be very very short, since it'd just execute the templates.

PHPTemplateCompiled (or whatever; this name is bad, but it's all I got right
now) would be longer since it'd have to support a compile function and be able
to bring in all of the templates that are used.