[development] Pathauto scaleability - path column in node / user table

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Mon May 8 15:56:09 UTC 2006

Adrian Rossouw wrote:
> One of the things we discussed doing once 4.8 is open, around the time
> of vancouver, was
> that in order to maintain an alias for each and every node, using the
> path table for that,
> was just not going to scale.
>
> So, simply adding a 'path' column, which is in effect the preferred
> alias for that object, and then using a
> node_link($node) function (or just l($node->path)), would allow us to
> run modules like pathauto on
> very large production sites with thousands of nodes.
>
> This is a faily simple, albeit fairly large patch. Do we have any
> volunteers / naysayers?

I have one request: When this goes in, ensure that modules can affect
the generated URL. This is essential to being able to keep context on
node views. Nodes often exist in more than one context (imagine the
multi-parented book) but it's impossible to do the breadcrumbs right for
it. However, if that context could be passed into the node, we could do
some very cool stuff.