[development] hook_link - proposal

Yves CHEDEMOIS y.chedemois at free.fr
Wed May 10 23:23:55 UTC 2006

+1 for the idea of separating the $links soup into several keys
I'm not sure this is coherent with the rest of core, but I like the
possibilites left to theme (filtering out, ordering...)

I think leaving the render of the links to the themes is not a good
idea, however :

Having html code produced by l ("el"...) outside a theme function is
considered OK,
so what's the point of having a supplemental layer ?
(plus you'd have to support the other params l handles : querystring,
fragment...)

Besides, modules might want to output other things than an actual <a> tag
(simple text, whatever...).
They are currently allowed to do so, which I think is a good thing.
If their output is "complicated", it is up to the module coder ("good
coding practice")
to have a theme function provide that output.