[development] Extend database abstraction layer, to include table creation.

Jeremy Epstein jazepstein at gmail.com
Sat May 13 12:27:14 UTC 2006

I'm on Adrian's side as well, in terms of this debate. I think that
there's EVERY reason to add this last 'missing link' to Drupal's DB
abstraction layer, and that there's really no valid reason to hold it
back.

On 5/13/06, Dries Buytaert <dries.buytaert at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hence, the challenge is to make Drupal more powerful _AND_ easier to
> develop for.  This requires that we question certain development
> directions and look at them through the eyes of amateurs.

IMO, learning the DDL specifics of two different database systems is
more of a barrier for new developers, than learning a simple
abstraction layer ever could be. I can't speak for all developers, but
personally, I've always been much more familiar with MySQL, and I've
been scared and uneducated about the details of pgSQL for quite some
time. I've been developing with Drupal for over a year, but only
recently have I taken the time to dig a little deeper (just a little)
into pgSQL - just enough to make my modules compatible with it.

Most Drupal developers are only really comfortable with one system
(out of MySQL and pgSQL - with the majority being on the MySQL side).
Why should we have to learn another one, when a few simple extra
functions in core could eliminate that learning barrier for us? This
reason, combined with the other advantages of an improved abstraction
layer (i.e. less duplicated SQL code, less maintenance, less chance of
bugs), makes the choice a no-brainer (IMO).

Cheers,
Jaza.