[development] Extend database abstraction layer, to include table creation.

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Fri May 12 16:59:59 UTC 2006

Gary (Lists) wrote:
> Dries wrote:
>

>>> We want Drupal to remain accessible for them.
>>>

> "Gerhard Killesreiter" wrote:
>

>> Do we?
>>

> My impression is that you do not wish it be accessible.

Hadn't you promised to unsubscribe from this list?

>> I certainly want them to be able to use Drupal but I'd appreciate if
>> they'd keep their hands out of the code if they aren't programmers. This only
>> makes for nasty support cases.
>>

> There currently is no way to use Drupal without modifying code.  Period.

I obviously disagree. And no, themes don't really count as code.

> The ease of use score for Drupal would have to be considered very low,
> compared to other CMS tools.

Some consider it high compared to the likes of wordpress and
mambo/joomla. Granted, at least wordpress isn't really a CMS.

>  It's range of functionality is far greater, of
> course, but not for the average, download-and-install user, or even the
> generic site user, who doesn't even manage the Drupal installation.

Right.

> The chief barrier to fully marrying Drupal is the ongoing code-writing that
> must be done:  even themes are written in PHP, and once you add a module,
> you must immediately begin PHP training.

I still disagree. xtemplate is supported for 4.7, albeit in contrib.

> How do you propose that any Drupal user (not developer, just a user) "keep
> their hands out of the code"?

By just not tampering with stuff which isn't meant to be tampered with
if you don't know how to. I don't see a problem in setting up a site
with plain Drupal and only creating a custom theme. You could even only
modify the CSS that comes with one of the core themes and replace the
image files if your standards on uniqueness aren't that high.

Cheers,
    Gerhard