Drupal without modifications (Re: [development] Extend database abstraction layer, to include table creation.)

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Mon May 15 13:33:55 UTC 2006

Op zondag 14 mei 2006 14:45, schreef Gerhard Killesreiter:
> You are making these changes because you can. You skills help you to run
> better sites. But even if you had not the skills you yould still use
> Drupal. Sure, your sites would lack a feature here and there, but that's
> not the point. The point is that Drupal "out of the box" works for a lot
> of people and you don't need to know PHP to set up a site which already
> has a lot of features.

I am not complaining. I am saying two things:
1) Drupal is very powerfull (mostly becuase of its architecture) for
modificated websites. There is absolutely no way that I could hack Joomja, or
Nuke in such an easy way (I used both a lot, so its not just a matter of
knowing one app better). Which is was my reason for moving to Drupal.
2) Becuase Drupal has this power, and this great "feature", we have a real gem
at hand! We should not forget that a lot of people might use Drupal for this
very reason too. Focussing only on end-user improvements, is IMO bad. That is
my main point.

Dries points out in several blog posts and mailinglists mails that the low
"hop on level" is a good thing in Drupal.
I wanted to add to his points the fact that it is easy to hack Drupal.

Hacking your stuff is not bad. Because IMO getting a good site up n Running
you simply cannot do without it.

From the Lets keep Drupal Hack Friendly dept. Bèr