Drupal without modifications (Re: [development] Extend database abstraction layer, to include table creation.)

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Mon May 15 14:37:49 UTC 2006

Bèr Kessels wrote:

> Hacking your stuff is not bad. Because IMO getting a good site up n Running
> you simply cannot do without it.

I still think this is an unfair characterization. You can do amazing
things with Drupal without hacking the core, you just have to know
exactly how to do it sometimes. As I said, I have several installations
without core hacking involved. There are some special needs, right now,
that might still involve a little core hacking here and there but a lot
of these hacks that people do are just as likely to be unnecessary.

And characterizing Drupal as requiring core hacking because you have
some special needs is unfair to the entire community who CAN make Drupal
useful without hacking the core.