[development] Freezing the Drupal API

Adrian Simmons adrinux at perlucida.com
Mon May 15 22:07:16 UTC 2006

Richard Archer wrote:
> It would also increase the manpower available to work on future
> Drupal development
This I don't understand - what use is having more manpower if you've
effectively frozen (or at least chilled) core development?

I appreciate the rapid and large changes we've had over the last two
versions can make it hard to keep up, and that can make Drupal an expensive
option from the consultant perspective. But it wasn't always this way. I
think I started looking at Drupal around version 4.1 or 4.2, and as far as I
can remember the changes between versions were relatively minimal until we
hit 4.6.

More recently there are several factors that have sped up development and
that's likely to continue for a few releases - but I have a feeling it will
eventually settle down again (it might take a couple of years), and at that
point Drupal will not only look like a mature product to 'large users' it
will actually *be* one.

--
Adrian Simmons (aka adrinux) <http://adrinux.perlucida.com>
e-mail <mailto:adrinux at perlucida.com>