[development] RFC: Candidate 'premium' modules

Karthik narakasura at gmail.com
Tue May 16 10:05:32 UTC 2006

> I actually talked this over with chx in the IRC, and said I'd send my thoughts
> on it to the list, and then didn't do that part. Mea culpa.
>
> Here's my theory:
>
> Scratch a). Can't call them release critical, because you can't have someone
> falling asleep at the wheel hold up things for everyone else. That said, b and c
> are important. But it's more than just b and c.

  The Drupal developer community is not exactly a perfect society - it
is anything but. I honestly do not believe that any of the points
outlined will actually succeed unless these modules are deemed
release-critical. It is a practical requirement. IMO, this will just
not work otherwise (call me a cynic).

  Falling asleep at the wheel should/can be remedied quickly and
effectively. There is no perfect solution, but if these modules have
multiple maintainers (thanks Derek :) , such occurences can be
minimised.

I personally don't see this being much of an issue except for modules
like Project where there's a dearth of volunteers. Consequently,
modules like Project, i18n and so on will IMO benefit immensely from
such a system. But generally, as the modules in question are popular,
there should (hopefully) be no shortage of contributors.

> So here's my version of the proposal.
+1 for the rest.

Let's try and get this out (release-critical or not) with a trimmed
list of modules first and have endless debates on the importance of
any modules at a later date.

Thanks,
-K