[development] Verbal Violence: Stand and Deliver

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Tue May 16 10:47:19 UTC 2006

On 16 May 2006, at 08:19, Gary (Lists) wrote:
> I encourage any other person or persons to join with me in saying
> "No, we
> will not tolerate verbal violence" from Mr. Killesreiter.
>
> Each and every time that he seeks to verbally abuse another, we
> must say
> "No."
>
> Each and every time he seeks to mask his violence with "That's just
> how I
> am", we must say "No, not here."

It is true that Gerhard can be a bit of a bully -- intentional or
not.  Sometimes his posts can come across as being inappropriate, and
I've repeatedly hinted Gerhard to be more careful.  In many ways, it
is like burping and farting in public.  It doesn't make you a
criminal, but you can't expect people to be OK with it.  It doesn't
buy you a lot of respect.  And you know what?  FOSS development is a
lot about building trust and respect with one another.  If you can't
get people to trust and respect you, you can't make things happen.
Trust and respect is our currency.

And for what it is worth, I don't support Gary's post either.