[development] when we run out of characters

Jeremy Epstein jazepstein at gmail.com
Wed May 17 05:00:34 UTC 2006

On 5/17/06, Earl Miles <merlin at logrus.com> wrote:
> Chris Johnson wrote:
> > Jeremy Epstein wrote:
> >
> >> Let's just turn every module into a static class, and change the whole
> >> hook system to call namespace-contained methods rather than plain
> >> functions.
> >
> > Hey, that works for me!
> >
> > No matter what system we use, there'll be potential problems, thanks to
> > PHP's lack of namespace capabilities outside of classes.  :-(
>
> That may be a joke, but it isn't actually that horrible of an idea. I realize
> people'd never go for it but it *does* solve the namespace issue nicely.

Last year, I was crazy enough (and coerced enough) to write an OO fork
of Drupal. You can look at the code, and read my conclusions about
this experiment, if you want:

http://drupal.org/node/37939

As I made quite clear on this page, I don't think that Drupal core
should ever try this. ;-)

Cheers,
Jaza.