[development] [ANN] OpenID module version 1.1 for Drupal 4.7

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Wed May 17 14:14:05 UTC 2006

On 16-May-06, at 10:53 AM, Jonathan Daugherty wrote:

>> Interesting... I'll definitely have a look at this soon.. As Boris
>> has
>> suggested, if we can get a good basic distributed auth system for
>> Drupal core
>> that would also allow it to work with multiple other Identity 2.0
>> protocols
>> that would be very sweet.
>
> As you probably already know, the best way to do that is to use the
> Yadis
> service discovery protocol when implementing support for a given
> identity
> protocol.

Well, no, that's not necessarily the best way to do it....Yadis adds
yet another layer, too. We've already run multiple ID systems in
parallel plugged into Drupal, and it all "just works". Each auth
module takes care of the authentication system, and "good" protocols
allow us to log in directly to existing accounts (using email address
as a unique key).

> The latest release of our PHP libraries use Yadis for discovery.
> The current release of the Drupal module only does OpenID, but it
> can be
> modified to do Yadis directly and dispatch to OpenID or whatever
> else is
> available.  This is not trivial, however.

Which is why we likely can't be bothered until there is a more
compelling reason to use Yadis.

In any case, please do create a CVS account and add your module
there, or find someone who would like to be the local maintainer.

Thanks,

-- Boris