[development] changes in project publishing workflow

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Tue May 23 08:15:46 UTC 2006

after running into numerous problems with how we used to handle
project workflow, i've changed some code in project.module and
cvs.module, and killes has reconfigured drupal.org.  i've updated the
handbook page about maintaining projects to reflect these (and other)
changes: http://drupal.org/node/7765

the new workflow:

1) only users with a valid cvs account are allowed to create project
nodes at all.  this removes a potentially confusing node type from
the create content page for the vast majority of drupal.org users.

2) projects are no longer put into the moderation queue.  so long as
the user has a cvs account (and belong to a role that has the
"maintain projects" permission), they can create any projects they
like, which are immediately published.  further edits of the project
page no longer send the node back into moderation.

3) users with a cvs account can create new directories in the
contributions repository, but can only tag directories that have a
valid project node associated with them.  once tagged, the usual
tarball generation stuff kicks in and does its thing.

i think this new method will remove a lot of project-related
headaches and confusion.  let me know if anyone has any questions or
suggestions for further improvements.

thanks!
-derek (dww)