[development] Commercially oriented modules (was Microsoft SQL Server)

Robert Douglass r.douglass at onlinehome.de
Tue May 23 16:44:06 UTC 2006

Hi Gerhard,

thanks for clearing this up.

> I told him, I'd rather not have him contribute it since it is only
> usefull if you actually buy that package. Then it occurred to me a
> short while later, that probably all ecommerce payment gateways and
> amazon.com integration modules are of this kind too and it doesn't
> make much sense to host the one module and not the other. After that I
> suggested we discuss this, but nobody took me up on the offer )the
> mail was to the infrastructure list).
My feelings are that we have every interest in being open to companies
who want to write interfaces to their proprietary software. Let them
worry about the ramifications of GPL; if they screw up we get more open
source software =)

I would think we will probably come to an agreement pretty easily on
this point.... the adsense module seems utterly uncontroversial (as do
the ecommerce payment gateways), and the examples cited so far don't
differ in any substantial way that I can put my finger on.

Cheers,

Robert