[development] Human readable taxonomy URLs

Doq Doques doques at gmail.com
Wed May 24 10:00:55 UTC 2006

> From the rel-tag spec (http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-tag):
>
> "Tags are embedded in HTTP URIs in a well-defined manner so that the tag
> embedded in an HTTP URI can be mechanically extracted from that URI.
> Specifically, the last segment of the path portion of the URI (after the
> final "/" character) contains the tag value."
>
> In the world of Microformats there is only one url segment after the /
> which properly encodes a tag/category/keyword/term/etc; adding a
> textfield to control that wouldn't be too useful since there is only one
> option for compliance with this spec.
>
> I would like to see core have this without the addition of any UI,
> probably using the approach laid out in http://drupal.org/node/63635 for
> nodes on the code side. The URLs can be '.../{vocabulary}(/{parent
> category})*/{category}'.
>
> And since we are coding Drupal here, might as well throw in an API for a
> pathauto-like module to go and change everything up. A module could Form
> API in a text field for manual editing if someone wants that.
>
> (A system to manage redirects would be nice so URLs get redirects as
> they are changed.)
>
> --
> Neil Drumm
> http://delocalizedham.com/

In the beginning of 2006 I have started to develop module called
friendly_url. Its features are:
* Extends custom_url_rewrite functionality.
* Friendly user URLs: user/1.* --> user/root.* (e.g. user/1/edit -->
user/root/edit).
 root - was the name of user. If friendly_url module is enabled then users
can't register with login names that will be encoded in URL.
* Nodes URLs: When user adds new node he can specify a friendly URL - which
can't be number or some of the forbidden names (forbidden URLs are fetched
using hook_url_rewrite_forbidden().)
* Taxonomy URLs: same as nodes.
* Taxonomy_menu URLs.
* Friendly URL caching.

Taxonomy_menu provides special rewrite from taxonomy/term/* to hierarchical
taxonomy_menu/<voc_name>/<term_friendly_url>/<term_friendly_url>. Also
taxonomy_menu/<voc_name>/<term_name>/<term_name>/depth/0 etc. was
implemented for feeds.
Also, taxonomy_menu can be striped from the URL.
e.g. I have a
taxonomy_menu/articles/artificial-intelligence/neural-networks. --->
articles/artificial-intelligence/neural-networks.
(where articles is the friendly url of vocabulary.)

Maybe this ways can be helpful for developing a hierarchical taxonomy URLs.

sincerely,
doq doques.