[development] Human readable taxonomy URLs

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Wed May 24 14:29:08 UTC 2006

On 5/24/06, Doq Doques <doques at gmail.com> wrote:

> From the rel-tag spec (http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-tag ):
>
> "Tags are embedded in HTTP URIs in a well-defined manner so that the tag
> embedded in an HTTP URI can be mechanically extracted from that URI.
> Specifically, the last segment of the path portion of the URI (after the
> final "/" character) contains the tag value."
>
> In the world of Microformats there is only one url segment after the /
> which properly encodes a tag/category/keyword/term/etc; adding a
> textfield to control that wouldn't be too useful since there is only one
> option for compliance with this spec.

No. The last element in the path must end in the name of the tag ("last
segment of the path"). So, /something/else/here/tagname works, as does
/tagname.

And microformats isn't a spec. Technorati, FWIW, reads Drupal's RSS
2.0categories directly, without having to mangle in any tag stuff in
the body
of your post.

But of course, I *am* in favour of "friendly URLs" in core.

Dries: to your point that "you don't mind coming up with the name and typing
it in"....that's fine for single user or editorial users, but you need to
have pathauto-like functionality so that new posts (users, tags, etc.) can
have friendly URLs without giving non-privileged users control over path.

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747