[development] Here is how you can get 4.5 security patches

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Sun May 28 01:44:24 UTC 2006

I would like to add my +1 for Liza's perspective in this discussion.
I'm a big believer in providing context, rather than censoring or
restricting availability. A simple archives area with older releases
seems like an easy way to move them off the active table, while not
burying them under arcane and splintered cvs repositories. This is
standard practice for many FOSS projects out there, and hardly an
extraordinary request. (I can imagine the guy who "wakes up" one day,
deciding to upgrade Drupal 4.3 and learning he needs to upgrade one
major release at a time, but that those releases aren't available
except in something called "cvs". While the Spreadfirefox lesson is
hard-learned, there is something to be said for such passive
provision for the clueless, sleepy or too-preoccupied site admins.) I
don't believe the mere existence of tarballs implies support --
especially if they're only available from a clearly marked page.

However--

In the interest of being proactive, I also just added a handbook page
that endeavors to make clear to n00bs considering Drupal that Drupal
is about cutting edge, and that what enables Drupal to be as great as
it is is the lack of marriage to backwards compatibility.

The page is here: http://drupal.org/node/65922 (Mentioned here as an
FYI. I already noted it on the docs list.)

I think a lot of the angst expressed out in the field (not by Liza)
about having to upgrade older releases could be avoided in the future
by a simple and clear caveat emptor message in the handbook.

Laura