[infrastructure] Re: [development] Drupal 4.5 unsupported

blogdiva at culturekitchen.com blogdiva at culturekitchen.com
Sun May 28 03:06:10 UTC 2006

Thanks Greg,

I hope you are not being sarcastic :) But, since you mention it ...
Here's an example of what I was talking about :

> On  27.May.2006, at 02:39 PM, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
> Interested parties wil observe that there aren't any earlier
> releases than 4.5 listed on drupal.org. Our policy was always to
> support the latest two releases. If we do support, then we offer
> tarballs, if we don't we don't.
>
> Unless something better comes up, I will remove the files tomorrow.

Why would anybody consider TECH SUPPORT equal to letting consumers of
a product have access to older versions of the product? It is not and
this is the point I am trying to make.

Drupal developers can still choose to not support older versions of
the product. What you can do is move them from an active area to an
archival one. Let users have access to old files and pages dealing
with the versions; regardless of whether you as a developer think it
is a good idea or not for people to use those older versions.

It's like I tell artists --it is not up to you to tell people how to
interpret your artwork. That's only up to the art seeker/lover/
explorer/user/critic. Once you do the work, let the work be.

I mean, Drupal is not MicroSoft. Why would Drupal care to force an
upgrade if there is no economic incentive for you anyway? What
exactly is Drupal.org getting out of it? And this is an honest
question, not a rhetorical one.

Now, mind you, I am coming back to my original comment : I was to
take this weekend to upgrade. For good or bad, I am spending  it
replying to these emails. So, yeah, I am upgrading anyhow; but this
is not about me.

My comments have more to do with the elan or spirit that moves
members of the development team like Gerhard to make decisions like
the one quoted above. It does not help in building community and it
certainly is bad for Drupal.org's reputation.

/ liza